[DRMAA-WG] Notes from OGF21 Working Group Session
Dan.Templeton at Sun.COM
Tue Oct 23 10:53:03 CDT 2007
The session at OGF21 went very well. We had lots of great people in the
room, so we were actually able to have a useful conversation. Since I
was both trying to lead and take notes, my notes are not comprehensive,
but I think they capture the high points.
* DRMAA next
- First important milestone is ISV buy-in
- An important element of a next version is very explicit backwards
- What effect will DRMAA next have on SAGA and vice versa?
. It was roughly agreed that if DRMAA next leans towards SAGA, SAGA
may consider using DRMAA
. Andre Merzky volunteered to work on a sample integration of DRMAA
. The point was made that while SAGA has its place, so does DRMAA.
Being just a submit/monitor/control API may be an advantage in some cases
- Resource discovery is an important missing piece
. Where is my job running?
. What resources are available for my job to run on?
- Need to be able to query more info, like the list of submitted jobs
(even beyond the session boundary)
- Where does JSDL fit in?
. On the back end, making DRMAA an API front end of JSDL over HPCP
. As a mechanism for sharing job templates among applications
- The general agreement was that rather than a monolithic DRMAA next,
it would be better to have a series of extension modules for 1.0, and
then DRMAA next becomes a blessed assembly of those extensions.
. An obvious first module would be utility functions for converting
job templates to/from JSDL
More information about the drmaa-wg